- Forthcoming: The Pressure behind Corporate Social Performance: Ownership and Institutional Configurations (with Kurt Desender). Global Strategy Journal. Publisher SSRN SMS blog
- Forthcoming: Riding Out of a Financial Crisis: The Joint Effect of Trust and Corporate Ownership (with Mario Daniele Amore). Journal of Comparative Economics. Publisher SSRN NadaesGratis Blog
- The Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog features our paper in the Journal of Business Venturing
- Grant from the CEIBS Cathay Cross-border Private Equity Research Fund for our project on (corporate) venture capital (with Samuele Murtinu and Martí Guasch): video summary
Appointments and education
I am Associate Professor (tenured) at the Department of Economics and Business at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). I am also Affiliated Professor at the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics and the UPF-Barcelona School of Management, where I act as Academic Director of the Business Analytics MSc track. I have a PhD degree in Business Economics and Administration from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (a European Doctoral Program jointly organized with Växjö University). Before joining UPF, I have visited Växjö University in Sweden and IESEG School of Management in France, and have taught at Toulouse Business School.
My research focuses on corporate governance, and management accounting and control. The unifying theme of my papers is the study of firm performance determinants. During my PhD, I developed governance and control frameworks based on productivity and efficiency measures. In the following years, I have expanded the scope of my research to target core issues in business and management. My papers span the following categories:
- Corporate governance determinants of performance, and the influence of institutions and culture
- Entrepreneurship, business decisions, financing and performance of start-ups
- Benchmarking approaches to management accounting and control; applications to bank risk and firm investment
I employ quantitative econometric approaches that aim at achieving generalizations useful for the research community. My work also serves policymakers in their quest for new business models.
Several of my research articles have been published in leading management and business economics journals. My work was granted national and private grants, cited in The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Law and Governance and World Bank studies, nominated for an award by the International Corporate Governance Society (ICGS), and awarded a prize by the CEIBS Cathay Cross-border Private Equity Research Fund.
I am Associate Editor of Business Research Quarterly, review for international journals, and present my work in invited seminars and at conferences including the Academy of Management, the Society for Institutional & Organizational Economics (SIOE), CEPR workshops, the European Accounting Association, the Strategic Management Society, INFORMS and the North American Productivity Workshop. I also co-organize the Barcelona GSE Entrepreneurship Summer Forum.
I teach graduate and undergraduate business courses on Organizations and Markets, and Management Accounting and Control. My guest graduate lectures on governance and control include the Institutional and Organizational Economics Academy (IOEA), and the PhD program at U. of Padua. Using my research and teaching knowledge together, I have developed a series of business cases that were published in a textbook.