- Paper accepted at the Journal of Business Venturing: Epure, M., and M. Guasch. 2019. Debt Signaling and Outside Investors in Early Stage Firms. SSRN
- New grant received from the China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) Cathay Cross-border Private Equity Research Fund for our project on (corporate) venture capital (Murtinu-Epure-Guasch).
- Next invited talk on family firms and governance: Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
- Thoughts on UPF-BSM in the Quantitative Techniques for Economics & Management Masters Network
Appointments and education
I am Associate Professor (Prof. Titular) at the Department of Economics and Business at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). I am also Affiliated Professor at the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics and the Barcelona School of Management, where I act as Academic Director of the Business Analytics MSc track. I have a PhD degree in Business Economics and Administration from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (a European Doctoral Program jointly organized with Växjö University). Prior to joining UPF, I have visited Växjö University in Sweden and IESEG School of Management in France, and have taught at Toulouse Business School.
My research focuses on corporate governance, and management accounting and control. The unifying theme of my papers is the study of the determinants of firm performance. During my PhD, I developed governance and control frameworks based on productivity and efficiency measures. In the following years, I have expanded the scope of my research to target core issues in business and management. My papers can be grouped in the following lines of research:
- Corporate governance determinants of performance, and the influence of institutions and culture.
- Entrepreneurship, business decisions, financing and performance of start-ups.
- Benchmarking approaches to management accounting and control; applications to bank risk and firm investment.
I mostly employ quantitative econometric approaches that aim at achieving generalizations useful for the research community. My work can also serve policy makers in their quest to reach new business models.
Several of my articles have been published in leading management and business economics journals, while various of my working papers are at different review stages at top journals (see my research page). In 2018, my work was cited in The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Law and Governance, and was nominated for an award by the International Corporate Governance Society (ICGS).
Moreover, I act as Associate Editor of BRQ, consistently review for international journals, and present my work in invited seminars and at renowned conferences including the Academy of Management, the Society for Institutional & Organizational Economics (SIOE), CEPR workshops, the European Accounting Association, the Strategic Management Society, INFORMS and the North American Productivity Workshop.
I teach graduate and undergraduate business courses on Organizations and Markets, and Management Accounting and Control. My teaching follows the interdisciplinary approach to organizational and institutional design promoted by the Society for Institutional & Organizational Economics (SIOE); my guest graduate lectures on governance and control include the Institutional and Organizational Economics Academy (IOEA), and the PhD program at U. of Padova. Using my research and teaching knowledge together, I have developed a series of business cases that were published in a textbook.