- New WP on the impact of global financial conditions on credit to households and firms
- The Pressure behind Corporate Social Performance: Ownership and Institutional Configurations (with Kurt Desender). Global Strategy Journal. Publisher SSRN SMS blog
- Riding Out of a Financial Crisis: The Joint Effect of Trust and Corporate Ownership (with Mario Daniele Amore). Journal of Comparative Economics. Publisher SSRN NadaesGratis
- The Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog features our Journal of Business Venturing paper
- Grant from the CEIBS Cathay Cross-border Private Equity Research Fund for our project on (corporate) venture capital (with Samuele Murtinu and Martí Guasch): video summary
Appointments and education
I am Associate Professor (Serra Húnter Prof. Agregat) at the Department of Economics and Business at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). I am also Affiliated Professor at the Barcelona School of Economics and the UPF-Barcelona School of Management, where I act as Academic Director of the Business Analytics MSc track. I have a PhD degree in Business Economics and Administration from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (a European Doctoral Program jointly organized with Växjö University). Before joining UPF, I have visited Växjö University in Sweden and IESEG School of Management in France, and have taught at Toulouse Business School.
My research focuses on corporate governance, and management accounting and control. After my PhD, I have expanded the scope of my research and embarked on increasingly ambitious projects. The unifying theme of my papers is the study of governance and the determinants of firm performance. My papers span the following categories:
- Corporate governance and performance; the influence of institutions and culture
- Entrepreneurship: financing and performance of start-ups
- Benchmarking and management control; applications to bank risk and firm investment
My work aims at generalizations useful for the research community and serves policymakers in their quest for new business models.
Several of my research articles appear in leading management and business economics journals. My work was conceded national and regional grants, cited in The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Law and Governance and World Bank studies, nominated for an award by the International Corporate Governance Society, and awarded a prize/grant by the CEIBS Cathay Cross-border Private Equity Research Fund. My articles have been featured on the Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog and in the press releases of the Strategic Management Society.
I review for international journals, act as Associate Editor of Business Research Quarterly, and present my work in invited talks (e.g. Bocconi U., Copenhagen Business School, Erasmus U. and Bank of Italy) and at conferences including the Academy of Management, Society for Institutional & Organizational Economics, CEPR, European Accounting Association, Strategic Management Society, and North American Productivity Workshop. I also co-organize the Barcelona School of Economics Entrepreneurship Summer Forum.
I teach graduate and undergraduate courses on Organizations and Markets, and Management Accounting and Control. My guest graduate lectures on governance and control include the Institutional and Organizational Economics Academy (IOEA), and the PhD program at U. of Padua. Using my research and teaching knowledge together, I have developed a series of business cases that were published in a textbook.