Benchmarking and Management Control
[[Schematic content, next edition: Winter 2020]]
Block 1: Introduction to benchmarking measures for management control
1. Performance monitoring and benchmarking in competitive settings
2. Profitability and productivity changes
Block 2: Multidimensional benchmarking and applications
3. Benchmarking in multidimensional settings
4. Business applications of benchmarking assessments
Group activity: Presentation of articles
Block 3: Organizational architecture and performance control measures
5. Designing organizational architecture
6. Divisional performance evaluation and control
7. Measuring internal business processes and employee performance
8. Assessing management evaluation across the world
Group activity: Presentation of Final Reports
EMS: Efficiency Measurment System (novice users) or [alternative direct download]
R package 1: Nonparametric Methods for Measuring Efficiency and Productivity (average users)
R package 2: Benchmark and frontier analysis using DEA and SFA (average users)
GAMS (advanced users)
American Productivity and Quality Center. www.apqc.org
Bain and Company “Management Tools and Trends”
*Balk, B.M., 2003. The residual: On monitoring and benchmarking firms, industries, and economies with respect to productivity. Journal of Productivity Analysis 20(1), 5-47.
Bogetoft P., Otto, L., 2011. Benchmarking with DEA, SFA and R. Springer, New York.
*Brickley, J.A., Smith Jr., C.W., Zimmerman, J.L., 2016. Managerial Economics and Organizational Architecture. 6th ed., McGraw-Hill.
Camp, R.C. Benchmarking: The Search for Industry Best Practices That Lead to Superior Performance. Productivity Press, 2006.
Kaplan, R.S., Atkinson, A.A., 2000. Advanced Management Accounting. 3th ed., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River.